Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Shepherd Comes for Thomas


Today I want to talk about the gospel reading from today's Holy Mass. Today was the Second Sunday of Easter and Divine Mercy Sunday.


This is from the gospel reading:

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."

Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."

Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."
What I love in the passage is that we clearly see Jesus the Good Shepherd come after His one lost sheep and carry him back to fold. Thomas in previous gospel passages was ready to go die with Jesus (John 11:16), and he demonstrated a concern with knowing "the way" to where Jesus was going (John 14:5).  He loved Jesus, he wanted to know the way of where to follow Him, but he was unable to believe in the Resurrection proclaimed by the other Apostles. He falls into error and is headed the wrong way. What does Jesus do? He goes out of His way to show Thomas the truth, to lead him the right way.

I concluded some time ago that if I truly love the Lord and I want to know the way and if I'm willing to follow Him wherever He is going (even if it's imperfectly, after all, all the disciples fall short regularly in the gospels), that Jesus Himself will be my Good Shepherd and make sure I know where to go. The sheep doesn't know where to go, and if given directions he wouldn't understand. All he can do is listen for the voice of his Shepherd when he calls (John 10:4) and if he has strayed out of earshot, the Shepherd will come get him (Luke 15:4).

I used to spend a lot of time worrying that when the Shepherd calls I might not hear His voice and therefore might fail to heed His call. It was a great relief now to know that the Shepherd rejoices to come put the lost sheep upon His shoulder and take it home (Luke 15:5-7).

The merciful love of Christ is more than generous enough to guide me if I intend to follow, so I am no longer afraid that I will somehow prevent Christ from leading me when I want to follow. How could I ever be so lost that Christ could not bring me home so long as I lay meekly on His shoulder as he carries me there?

No comments: