Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Why Do I Have to Eat Fish This Friday?

It is nearing the end of the season of the Catholic year known as Lent. About 40 Days before Easter, Catholics begin observing a special "holy season" of preparation to remember the suffering and death of Jesus, and to celebrate His resurrection. In English this season is called "Lent" which means spring. In most other languages it's called something like "The Forty Days."

Lent is mean to be somber and serious in many ways. It is a time of reflection and of penance. Penance is a traditional Christian practice that is done in response to one's sins and/or the sins of others. Penance does not  "make up for" our sins and it's not a punishment from God. Jesus Himself makes up for our sins and we receive no punishment for them. Essentially, penance is a way of training ourselves to do better. Penance is an action prayer (often the act of praying) that communicates to God our sorrow for our sins and our seeking His mercy.

During the holy season of Lent, many people give something up as an act of general penance. The thing given  usually is not something that is sinful. The most common things given up are some type of luxury food, such as chocolate, coffee, soda-pop, snacks, etc. These things are not evil. People give up things like these during Lent as a prayerful action that is meant to train them to make it easier to set aside their own desires. Such training makes it easier to put God and other people ahead of ourselves.

So, what does all of this have to do with the fact that on this Friday I'm probably going to eat fish?

During Lent we reflect on the suffering and death of Jesus. Jesus died on a Friday. We make even more of an effort to remember His death on Fridays during Lent. One way Catholics do this is by participating in a group prayer action called abstinence. This kind of abstinence isn't about sex, it's about meat. On Fridays during Lent, Catholics refrain from eating the flesh of land animals. 

There are some exceptions, people who are pregnant, sick, too young, or too old are not asked to abstain. Everyone else is asked to abstain. Many people think that this penance is too easy, especially because Catholics used to abstain every Friday of the year and every day of Lent. Some people think it is too easy because in many parts of the world, fish is no longer the food of the poor - it's an expensive treat.

I have no criticism for the practice, just the opposite in fact. The major point of penance is to learn to place God and others ahead of self. By doing for my penance what the Church asks of me, I am putting aside my desires both to eat meat, and also to not be told what to do. Honestly, learning how to do what I'm asked without grumbling or criticizing is a very important thing that I need more practice doing.

So this Friday, one of the last Fridays of Lent, I will yet again practice putting aside my own desire, my own autonomy, my own desire to do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it, and to not be told what I "can and can't do." If I happen to enjoy what the Church says I can do - eat fish even while abstaining from other meat - that's not a problem. After all, doing God's will may be different from doing my will - but that doesn't mean it's going to make me unhappy.

Bring on the fish!

No comments: